11 May 2010

Pupusaria Avila



Daniel and I have received the official authorization from Peace Corps staff to move into a little house near Perquin. This is great because it’s a short walk to our office and the neighborhood is safe.  I’m truly eager to acquire certain additional amenities, which are all found in the bathroom (toilet, sink and shower!) 

We have big plans on improvements including painting the outside and inside, building a bamboo porch where we can relax on hammocks under the canopy out of the scorching sun or heavy rain. This porch will also serve as cover while we wash dishes and clothes outside. 
Furthermore, a garden and compost will be added to our backyard.  Peace Corps provides seeds so we shall see what we can get our green little thumbs on.
But as the day draws closer (Friday) I am reflecting on what I will miss. And the first thing that comes to mind is my host mother’s Pupusas. Mmmm que rico. 

Here are some photos: 
The Pupusaria Viewed from the street. 



  From the back of the room watching the magic happen. 


















Mixing the Masa de Maize (corn dough)













Familia working together. 
The pupusaria has frescos de Mora y Mango and sometimes Tamarindo. 













ha. I love my host mom's suspicious face. after I showed her the photo she started cracking up. She didn't know what I was taking a picture of. Although Esperanza our family's muchacha was ready and cute as a button. 



















Echando pupusas: you can order them with any combination of cheese, beans, or chicharrón stuffed inside. 














To-go bags of salsa (not spicy)










Current Status: Craving some pupusas

No comments:

Post a Comment