23 April 2010

K.C. the infiltraiter.

As many of you know I studied and lived in East Jerusalem and sometimes visited and worked in the West Bank in Early 2009. The NGO I worked for was a primary news source for what was happening in the occupied territory. Furthermore they brought in different Palestinian and Israeli leaders to give talks in their West Bank office. Once I even went to the West Bank with Rabbis for Human Rights to plant olive trees in order to help the Palestinian land owner prove that his land had been cultivated within the last two years so that the Israeli goverment wouldn't take it from him in order to continue building the illegal seperation barrier.
I digress.
With Isreal's new order No. 1,650: Under this new draconian measure, anyone who doesn't have a "permit" to be in the West Bank is to be considered an "infiltrator" and subject to expulsion or risk up to seven years in jail.
Let me tell ya, their not handing those "permits" to just anyone. Especially students like me who study human rights and international law. Those topics automatically red flag a person as a Palestinian/anti Israel suspect. (I was detained twice because of this). Not fun.
Anyway, I find this experience in the West Bank and invaluable and with this new order in place current and future students along with other Internationals wanting to see for themselves first hand and share with the world the on the ground truth will no longer be allowed in. In this video the reporter shares with us that even HE a legitamate reporter was no longer going to be issued a press pass to enter and report from the West Bank.

So how are we going to get information? Just rely on the good conscience of the Israeli government to pass along the information? The same Israeli governement who in Jan 2009 Bombed an millions of innocent people in Gaza including a 2 UN schools being used as refugee centres?

BAH. Here's the video:

1 comment:

  1. hey, i've been looking at your blog, and it's awesome! I'm actually going to be a new PCV arriving in El Salvador in july. This post caught my eye b/c i spent last summer in the West Bank, and went to Bil'in protests while I was there. Keep posting[it's great! Feel free to email me at anna.brunt@hotmail.com if you want!

    ReplyDelete