05 April 2010

A DoñaTigra by any other name...

Many questions have arisen regarding the topic of my nickname.
We all have them here in Peace Corps El Salvador. In our training group we have : Juanmi, Hansel, Hermanita, Chelsita, Preacher, Fro, Milton, el Pato and Carmela.

Mine is : DoñaTigra

Doña is very commonly used before a woman's name in Latin America and most of my encounters are from watching novellas. Growing up I watched these spanish soaps and always thought it would be cool to be a "Doña". I thought it sounded really strong and respectable. Then I get to El Salvador and they don't use Doña but rather "niña"
Since I find it completely unacceptable to be called "niña" Krystal. (Spanish for little girl Krystal)I requested my fellow PCV friends to call me Doña.

wondering where La Tigra comes from...

My first year away at college my roommate and I didn't have t.v. so hours were spent watching movies.(between study groups of course) One movie in particular wedged its way into my life.

ZOOLANDER.

Its a movie about Derek Zoolander, a model, who is famous for a series of poses which are supposed to be devastating, and have suggestive names such as "Blue Steel", "Le Tigre" and "Ferrari" but all in fact consist of him staring at the camera intensely and sucking in his cheeks.

Since I am a female it was changed it to "La Tigra" and was assigned to me by friends once my BAL level rose above .08. It followed me through graduate school and now to Peace Corps El Salvador.
Both nicknames have been eloquently married into one and used to spin sometimes tall but mostly true tales about adventures here in E.S. by my amigo El Pato.
Hope you enjoy following both El Pato and DoñaTigra’s tales on our blogs.

But remember… you buy the ticket… you take the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment