07 March 2012

3 day Reunion with my girl Haley in Salvador

I had the great luck to become friends with this women when we ended up in the same study abroad program in Jerusalem. Haley and I along with Katie met in the airport from New York to Tel Aviv and the rest was besties history.  We had grand adventures, ups, downs and a great respect for the shawarma. (I gained about 10 lbs in Jerusalem). So when Haley said she could maneuver a stop over in El Salvador on her way from Peru back to New York I said Heck YES! (we tried to get Katie down but perhaps that would have been too much for this little country to handle)

 For all the hours Haley spends in the skies hopping from one place to another she is the most down to earth person. She always seems to have the coolest jobs / projects / experiences in general but she’s not afraid to give it to ya straight; life is a journey filled with good bad and sad. Reminding me to revel in them all and our visit was an abundance of good. And we reveled.

After Haley arrived in comalapa airport here in San Sal... I waited and waited and waited...paced around, bought and ice cream and waited some more... until finally she strolled out and I jumped up and down waving my arms in the air. I hugged her tight and asked, "what were you the last person off the plane or what!?"
"Yeah actually I don't know how it happened but I was THE LAST person in the immigration and customs line."
and then we erupt in laughter, called the cab over and zoomed off to the beach...

It went a little somethin' like this:

all photos courtesy of Haley. (thanks lady!)


Arrived at Hostel and instantly changed in bikinis 
got some refreshments

Jaime, Chelsea, Erica, Haley and I ...
Haley got to meet some of my Peace Corps friends
Almost the whole COED group of ladies... missing Jessica.
I poured one out for you girl. 

a lot of this was consumed


We realized after the second platter of these free tapas
the little suckers are still alive!


self portrait trying to capture the rock behind us

eye candy... moving a log so we could play volleyball

great sunsets

Auto Timer... 

More Auto Timer

Me das Ride?

Vogue-ing.

afternoon lounging in the hostel

Salvador has great cafe!

little night time beach drum circle

Haley's final meal
PUPUSAS!!!
Por Fin.





Also, for those interested, Haley works with Hole in the Wall Camps in charge of Asia and South America. Yup She works with poor 3rd world country sick or orphan kids to help them be kids and have fun! 

Why is it important to have friends like Haley? 

Because being with her reminds me and strengthens within me the big thing we have in common... 
our greatest desire is not anything material but rather to dedicate our lives to something that contributes. Because at the end of the day when you are pulling out your hair, frustrated and drinking warm rum and juice to calm the nerves, it better be worth it . It better fill your soul. Not offend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment