26 February 2010

Santa Ana

Immersion Days...

I'm in the Santa Ana region, (near Guatamala) of El Salvador for a long weekend. I arrived yesterday around noon after waking up at 5am. I had to take 5 different buses and 4 hours of trying to stay awake so I didn't get something jacked from my backpack. The training in El Salvador is intense on security and makes us afraid to travel. Yes San Salvador and El Salvador in general is dangerous but the warnings in training have been so excesses and I have gotten to the point where I am looking at little old abuelitas with suspision...

Anyway, Santa Ana  is very tranquilo and clean compared to the area I've been staying in San Vicente. The volunteer I am staying with is what they call "COSing" Close Of Service. She has been here two years so its nice to pick her brain a bit and get the real scoop on all things PC in E.S. 

Little later we are going to walk about an hour to a Canton (smaller than a pueblo) to a community meeting about youth. Should be interesting. Then I'm going to stay there with a family for the night to get the whole 'canton' feel since that is where I'll be most likely placed. Aka, more rural w/less luxuries. Then back to the volunteer's pueblo Saturday night before I head back to the training grounds on the other end of the country.

current status: glad to have a break from training

No comments:

Post a Comment