27 June 2012

observation: laundry

When I first arrived in El Salvador I lived with a host family who in the first week washed my clothes for me and then folded it and placed it nicely in my room. I noticed though something was a bit different. All the clothes was inside out.... perhaps its because I put it in the dirty pile this way... So when I started to hand wash, and hang to dry I would turn my clothes right side out and fold it this way as well...
One day when my host mother was folding the children's clothes and watching her nightly spanish soap I went into "bond" by helping her fold and watch the soap. I of course started to turn all the clothes right side out and then fold them. She stopped me quickly and said no no no.
She explained that they keep them inside out because they will not get dirty in this way. My confusion was obvious and she continued by pointing to a small piece of ash on the floor.
OOOOOH (on comes the light bulb). During this part of the year when the sugar cane is being harvested the remaining stalks are slashed and burned... causing chunks of black ash to rain from the sky and sneak into every possible nook and cranny.
From then on... it was inside out for my clothes as well.

Today I'm grateful for the washer and dryer at my mom's house, and can't help but think back to my first weeks in El Salvador learning to hand wash, hang out to dry, and fold inside out.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment