06 July 2011

a soggy hump day rant

This afternoon thunder is rattling the building with lightning blinding me with the flashes coming through each window. I woke up this morning thinking how this rainy season had not been so bad; we had yet to lose power (more than a few minutes) and only lost water for a day.  I have not tumbled on slimy muddied rock paths or fallen victim to black mold naciendo on the walls in the house. I was recalling how last August I had enough with the rain and the weeping walls and the funky tang of mildew in my clothes. It’s July and I haven’t cursed the season yet? YET.

But maybe it’s my pending visit to the U.S. or the relentless work laid out ever so clearly in color coded detail on my iCal that keeps me marching along in my flip-flops flapping up sopping lodo on the back of my rolled up jeans. I’m exhausted emotionally and sleeping in and Kellogs are not helping but I’m ok with letting myself feel this way. It’s natural. Shoot. I’d be made of stone if I wasn’t allowed to breakdown every once in a while, not be completely in sync with the cultural differences and strains…  and for a moment wish for my mom’s cozy couch with red wine, or my dad’s bbq and my family’s gluttonous get-togethers coupled with acoustic sing-along and games and my aunt and grandma’s flan… mmmm flan. 
Can’t wait to squeeze the Jugo out of my familia come Aug. 

Until then I’ll be grateful for the opportunity to live in such a beautiful region of El Salvador doing work each day that reflects my passions. 
Lord help me when and if I ever go back to a desk job in an office building with florescent lighting. Dios Guarde! Although, nobody would tell me I’m gorda, call me negrita or colocha or show up 1-2 hours late to a meeting. There are trade-offs I guess. 




translations: 
naciendo: means to be born but also means growth or sprouting of mold or fungus
lodo: mud
Kellog: any type of cereal
Dios Guarde: God Keep Me, used to emphasize just about anything
gorda: fat
negrita: blacky
colocha: curly head


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment