11 October 2010

Ode to Belikin

The name "Belikin" comes form the Maya language and means "Road to the East"


On our first day we arrived after a long day of travel. I flew into Belize city from San Salvador. Only an hour flight (at most). Mom flew in from the U.S. via Omaha, layover in Houston then into Belize City. 
after a substantial wait and an 11 dollar burrito in the airport restaurant, mom's plane finally touched down and my eyes got a lil misty just knowing she was in that huge continental jumbo jet. I ran down and waited for her to get through Customs and Immigration. (you never know with her!) j/k
The anticipation was growing and once she walked out of the airport we wrapped our arms around each other in a huge bear hug. Only letting go due to our racing excitement to get onto the next leg of the journey. The Island. Ambergris Caye!

We pull out the the file of information and try to decipher the emails from the hotel lady. "it says ground transport from airport to hotel" but what about getting to the island. We had air transport from belize City to San Pedro but which airport? International? Municipal? "Maybe we should just wait and see if someone shows up" not sure who but we were probably hoping for a person with a big sign that said "Atha Ladies This Way!"
That person 
and that sign 
never came. 

We read over the email again and again... and finally after all of about 5 minutes I go over and ask a guy who looks kind of official if he knows about flights to the Island. 
He sends me over to a Tropic Air employee and he looks on the list and BAM! I see our names and we were in the right place all along! 
For some reason we were under the impression we were getting picked up from Belize City International and being taken to Belize City Municipal then flying to the Island from there... Lawdy we were wrong. 

We are back to lifted spirits.  We rushed over to get tickets, and as we arrived to the terminal the people were already lined up to board. Let go!

We didn't rush enough.
 All the seats were taken on the plane and I get shuffled up to the front. 
1. already not excited about small planes
2. don't want to be up in the dash 
 I asked the pilot what I need to know in case of an emergency. 
he said "don't touch anything". 
I look over and make this face to my mom while she laughs and snaps a photo
I turn back around and the pilot says "ma'am are you alright?" 
"no I'm good maverick"
After a 20 min flight we land safely. 

Modeling how effective Belikin is on mood enhancement After checking into the hotel we head straight to a bar on the water. 
My first Belikin experience was at the TackleBox.
DAY 1: Mom and I met a nice BarKeep named Ruben. 1st order of the trip. One Belikin and one Rum Punch. Pretty good stuff all around.  This is when the wheels started turning ... Maybe after Peace Corps... I could get used to some Belikins, boats, and clear blue/green water. 

NICE VIEW




happiness.






Current Status: sitting in a hammock looking out at the mountains and a purple sky, listening to the rain hitting the roof and smiling of the sunny belize days. More reminiscing via blog to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment