10 April 2014

The Bechdel Test

What is the Bechdel test?

It's three simple questions asked of any movie.

1. Are there two or more women in it who have names
2. Do they talk to each other
3. Do they talk to each other about something other than a man?



I'm all for supporting movies that pass the Bechdel Test, but like most things, its not black and white, in many of the movies where they may score 3/3 on the test, there still may be sexist content or the women speak only for a little more than 60 OR they are not talking about men, but rather about marriage or babies.
Now, I don't know 'bout you ladies and gents, but I would like women to be shown in our true beautifully complicated nature. I have more depth and range of concerns other than men, babies and marriage.

Bechdel isn't perfect BUT when measuring gender equality in film... it's all we got. Sooooo

WHAT NOW you ask?

I'll tell ya what.... Check out the Bechdel website and see how movies stack up! And support with your wallets those that pass the test!

Some of the 3/3 movies of 2014 so far:

Alles Inklusive
Barbie: The Pearl Princess
Camp Takota
Cesar Chaves
Dead Snow 2
Divergent
Fields of hte Dead
Flowers in the Attic
The Lego Movie
Lies I told my sister
Lizzie Borden Took An Ax
Noah
Non-Stop
Our RoboCop Remake
Pompeii
Queen
Rio2
That Awkward Moment
Vampire Academy
Veronica Mars
Winter's Tale

side notes:
a. yes I am a feminist  !
b. So are you (if you believe women should be politically, socially and economically equal to men)


Current status: #FilmsForThought

No comments:

Post a Comment