10 October 2011

Eldi Emely gives hope

Reason 1 million and one why I love my students...

I'm sitting in a quiet and a bit dark hostel/restaurant using the internet as I see one of my english students walking home along the dirt road. She is wearing her school uniform, neatly pressed, knee high socks and mary-janes. She walks slowly and pauses, bends down and picks up a piece of trash. A plastic potato chip bag, then places it in a plastic grocery bag. As she continues walking, she doesn't see me, but I see her as she passes the window nearest my table... I see the bag is half full of other trash I presume she has picked up along her walk home.

YES! I scream inside.
there is hope.

Thank you Emely for making me smile today.
and not even knowing it.

Emely giving her presentation at
the Young Professionals Youth Camp last weekend.


for those who have not been to El Salvdor, there is trash (almost) everywhere. Seeing people discard their trash out the bus, truck, car window or walking along the street is something that used to make me cringe... and the trash all along the road infuriated me and made me question... doesn't this bother "them".... Now I hardly notice it. So am I "them" now? That's the trouble with "us" and "them"... its a tricky line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment