01 October 2009

Muslim in America

WARNING: This is a tear jerker...

As I procrastinate on some school work, I turn to YouTube for distraction.
I came across this video which brings up a serious topic.

Muslim women who wear a head scarf are consistently discriminated and threatened in the U.S. in 2009 no less! It really touched me when one man stood up for her and said that his son served in the U.S. Military so that we could feel safe here at 'home'. But then the Muslim woman confided in her interview that she not only fears but avoids going out in public ALONE. A college woman who is afraid to do things on her own. As an independent woman myself I feel this is the ultimate human rights violation. The loss of her personal self-determination due to fear. But at the end I do feel a sense of hope and pride when so many wonderful people stand up and try to help defend this Muslim woman and as they say in the video..."defend what America really stands for"



No comments:

Post a Comment